Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) – connect to the truck’s on-board computer and automatically record data on the truck’s movement, driver’s work and rest time, location, speed, fuel consumption and other parameters. This data is transmitted in real time to a dedicated platform where it can be viewed and analyzed by the carrier, customer or regulatory authorities.
ELDs provide a number of benefits for the safety and efficiency of road transportation:
- help comply with legal regulations on driver work and rest time, preventing overwork and reducing the risk of accidents;
- simplify the process of recording and documenting transportation, eliminating the need for drivers to keep paper logs and reducing the likelihood of errors and manipulation;
- optimize routes and truck loads based on current road conditions, weather, traffic congestion and other factors;
- help save fuel and reduce emissions by analyzing driver driving habits and making recommendations for improvement;
- increase transparency and control over transportation by giving customers access to up-to-date information on the location and status of their cargo.
Unmanned trucks are vehicles that drive themselves on the road without a human driver. For this purpose, they use various technologies such as cameras, radars, lidars, GPS, AI and V2X (vehicle-to-infrastructure communication). Unmanned trucks can be fully autonomous or operate under the remote control of an operator.
Unmanned trucks have several benefits for the safety and efficiency of road transportation:
- eliminate human error as a major cause of road accidents, as they are able to react faster and more accurately to road conditions and avoid dangerous situations;
- increase transportation productivity, can work around the clock without rest breaks and do not depend on the availability of qualified drivers;
- reduce transportation costs, as they save fuel through better driving style, as well as reduce costs for drivers’ salaries, insurance, fines, etc…;
- improve the environmental friendliness of transportation, they emit fewer emissions through better fuel management and can be equipped with alternative energy sources.