Frequently Asked Questions
The ELD rule applies to most motor carriers and drivers who are currently required to maintain records of duty status (RODS) per Part 395, 49 CFR 395.8(a). The rule applies to commercial buses as well as trucks, and to Canada- and Mexico-domiciled drivers. The ELD rule allows limited exceptions to the ELD mandate, including:
- Drivers who operate under the short-haul exceptions may continue using timecards; they are not required to keep RODS and will not be required to use ELDs.
- Drivers who use paper RODS for not more than 8 days out of every 30-day period.
- Drivers who conduct drive-away-tow-away operations, in which the vehicle being driven is the commodity being delivered.
- Drivers of vehicles manufactured before 2000.
- The DriveELD mobile app: A free app on Android and Apple mobile devices that connects to the DriveELD hardware to automatically record duty status.
- The DriveELD web app: A web app that allows carriers to connect to their drivers (fleet.drive-eld.com/login).
DriveELD Mobile App (For Drivers)
Device & Data
Downloading & Updating
Hours of Service (HOS) & Driver Logs
DriveELD Web App (For Carriers)
Mobile App Videos (Driver)
Carrier/Fleet Website Videos